Skip to main content

Skills Audit-Movement In Performance



Prior to this unit, I had only ever covered movement in class however this was in combination with other forms of performing arts such as scripted pieces, physical theatre etc, so I would say that I do have basic understanding of elements that make up movement/dance. I’ve also taken part in a school show which had a large amount of dance in it, so this was really useful as I hope to bring some of the skills I have learnt from it to this unit. Also just creating movement in class before this unit has allowed me to further develop my skills. In contrast, this unit will solely focus on movement in performance so I will need to make sure I am constantly deepening my knowledge of these familiar skills.

One major skill that I wish to enhance is my musicality; I would say I’m more comfortable performing on my own when it comes to movement as the being one beat behind is less noticeable compared to when you are in a group, you are easily distinguishable. I do find that there are many causes as to why I can become out of time, these are: forgetting what movement comes next, being distracted by other performers, worrying that it looks wrong, not focusing on the beats in the music. I think understanding the music that I will be working with will help me with this as I will come to know the timing in the music, also practicing the movement is an obvious aid in further improving my musicality.

Another thing I would like to work on is working with different types of music, in the school musical I took part in- the numbers were very fast paced and energetic, so perhaps working with different tempo of music will help portray different tones of atmospheres. Something I have come to understand since studying drama is that the same skill can be used in many ways. For example Projection is usually associated with projecting your voice loud enough so the audience can hear you, however the skill can be used in dance but instead Projection means to engage the audience and transmit a meaning to them through the movements. I wish to also focus on this as well I think it is important to convey a story/message through your dance, hopefully I will be able to apply this skill to my masterpiece.

Something I do find deplete when it comes to movement is confidence, I do not see myself as a confident dancer and this is one thing I wish to change. Many people in my class have had previous experience. I believe that if you are not confident on stage when dancing there is no way that you are fully participating your body into the movements-for me anyway. They are more half hearted movements and can look tired. I think if I was to make sure that I was putting 110% effort into my dance that I may feel more confident but at the same time confidence is something you build up over time so making sure I am pushing myself to myself every in and out of lesson is something I plan on doing.

My development/progression targets are:

1. Work on my musicality

2. Explore Projection within movement

3. Amplify my full body participation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Completing our Torchography

This lesson we wanted bock the torch-ography, we have spent a lot of time on this part of our masterpiece. So much so that other parts of our masterpiece are incomplete which is why we desired to complete it this lesson, this will give us time to go over everything in a running order and polish other parts for our final performance. Before this lesson began our producer noted that this piece is very physical theatre-ish and suggested that we include more contemporary/lyrical dance in it. Lyrical dance is when a movement as a meaning to it and it is impactful for the audience, much more 'dramatic' in some sense where as movement in Physical theatre is usually used to portray something rather than carrying a message behind it.  We also had to take into account that we needed to incorporate more R.A.D.S into our pieces, so we decided to add some more Dynamic movements. At 0.52 you can see our inclusion of light weighted  movements, flicking and sustained movements also. All of

Ideas & Influences

This lesson we decided to come up with a new idea. We are becoming stripped for time and we need to make sure we have a piece for each of us, so making progress is our objective. So far we have one for Chloe (Experimenting with Mirrors) and our group torch-ology. We thought it'd be efficient if we move onto Alice's idea. We have each created a representation of body dysmorphia that we are each going to represent. They are: Alice - Representing the idea that girls HAVE to be beautiful and conform to societies version of 'beautiful' and what defines it. Will - Is taking on the same idea as Alice, however focusing on the expectations from the male gender's perspective i.e. what it takes to be a real man in society e.g. masculinity, being muscly. Chloe - is exploring the idea how social media sometime forces us to become self-obsessed and how we value our appearance the most over other qualities like personality etc. Cameron - is going to convey th

R.A.D.S- Action

This lesson was focused on the Action in R.A.D.S. Again, there are key words for Action and they are: Elevation Jump Landing Hop Preparation Take off Leap Two feet to one Two feet to two One foot to two Turns Twisting Whole body turn Rolling Pivoting Spinning Travel In a Group Rolling Stepping Slidding With a partner Walking, Running  Technical, pedestrian Stylistic differences  As a transition  Gesture Functional (e.g. beckon, nod, salute) Non functional (e.g. abstract) Conversational (e.g. gesticulate, social e.g. hug) Emotional (e.g. wring hands) Stillness and falling Pause Shape Tableaux Use of centre to aid balance  On and off balance Suspension Fall and recovery After learning the words for Action we was then put into pairs with an assigned word we had to focus on as well as a stimulus which was a picture of two elderly people walking in opposite directions however their shadows casted their younger selves.  Me and Chloe